1. Tell me how you would check that the brakes are working before starting a journey.
Brakes should not feel spongy or slack. Brakes should be tested as you set off. Vehicle should not pull to one side or make any strange noises.
2. Tell me where you would find the information for the recommended tyre pressures for this car and how tyre pressures should be checked.
Manufacturer’s guide, use a reliable pressure gauge, check and adjust pressures when tyres are cold, don’t forget spare tyre, remember to refit valve caps.
3. Tell me how you would make sure your head restraint is correctly adjusted so it provides the best protection in the event of a crash.
The head restraint should be adjusted so the rigid or middle part of the head restraint is level with the eyes or top of the ears and as close to the back of the head as is comfortable. Note: Some restraints might not be adjustable.
4. Tell me how you would check the tyres to ensure that they have sufficient tread depth and that their general condition is safe to use on the road.
Using a depth gauge the tread depth Should be no less than 1.6mm across the central three-quarters of the breadth of the tyre and around the entire outer circumference of the tyre. No cuts or bulges in the tyre wall.
5. Tell me how you would check that the headlights and tail lights are working. You don’t need to exit the vehicle.
Turn on the lights using the switch ( turn on ignition if required), walk around the vehicle and check lights.
6. Tell me how you would know if there was a problem with your anti-lock braking system.
Warning light should illuminate if there is a fault with the anti-lock braking system.
7. Tell me how you would check the direction indicators are working. You don’t need to exit the vehicle.
Explain you’d operate the switch (turn on ignition if necessary) and then walk round vehicle (as this is a ‘tell me’ question, you don’t need to physically check the lights).
8. Tell me how you would check the brake lights are working on this car.
Explain you’d operate the brake pedal, make use of reflections in windows or doors, or ask someone to help.
9. Tell me how you would check the power-assisted steering is working before starting a journey.
If the steering becomes heavy, the system may not be working properly. Before starting a journey, 2 simple checks can be made.
Gentle pressure on the steering wheel, maintained while the engine is started, should result in a slight but noticeable movement as the system begins to operate. Alternatively turning the steering wheel just after moving off will give an immediate indication that the power assistance is functioning.
10. Tell me how you would switch on the rear fog light(s) and explain when you’d use it/them. You don’t need to exit the vehicle.
In this car, turn on the lights and then press the bottom button. A light should appear on the dash board to confirm this.
Fog lights should be used when visibility is seriously reduced, approximately less than 100 metres.
11. Tell me how you would switch your headlights from dipped to main beam and explain how you would know the main beam is on.
Turn on the lights then push the indicator stalk forwards. You will know if full beam is on via a blue indicator light on the dashboard.
Note engine may need to be turned on.
12. Open the bonnet and tell me how you would check that the engine has sufficient oil.
Identify dipstick/oil level indicator, describe check of oil level against the minimum and maximum markers.
13. Open the bonnet and tell me how you would check that the engine has sufficient engine coolant.
Identify where the engine coolant reservoir is and that it should not be topped up above the line. Point to the line.
14. Open the bonnet and tell me how you would check that you have a safe level of hydraulic brake fluid.
Identify reservoir, check level against high and low markings.
1. When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you wash and clean the rear windscreen?
2. When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you wash and clean the front windscreen?
3. When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you switch on your dipped headlights?
4. When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you set the rear demister?
5. When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you operate the horn?
6. When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you demist the front windscreen?
7. When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you open and close the side window?